Thursday, May 5, 2011

How we got here...


Fact: I am a slight hypochondriac. Tyler would argue I am a full-fledged easily diagnosable hypochondriac, but I insist it’s only “slight”. Anyways, being the hypochondriac I am, each month of our marriage I would insist I was pregnant and freak out! No matter how much birth control was used, I was completely convinced I was going to have a baby. And this cycle continually repeated itself for a solid year. Eventually I came to grips with the fact that I was not pregnant and I moved on to more logical fears such as flesh eating parasites and cancer. 

Well back in January I was having all kinds of issues and I was convinced I was dying (very logical). I told the doctor to run all the blood work she could and let me know the horrible prognosis. And of course, the day after my appointment I had a voicemail on my phone from MY DOCTOR! Nurses call when everything is alright. Doctors call when there is bad news. So I prepared myself for the worst and called the doctor back. 

She answered the phone and said, “I wanted to call you myself and say congratulations. You’re pregnant. Call the office next week and we will make an appointment. Have a great day” and then she hung up. Just like that...Just like that our world changed forever. I sat at my office desk in complete shock. SHOCK. I had prepped for cancer or some rare disease, but a BABY!?!? 

I immediately knew who I had to call. If anyone can calm me down it’s my always joyful levelheaded wonderful (and the list goes on…) husband. He of course was in a conference in Louisiana. I texted him “911. Emergency!” and he immediately called me back and wanted to know who had died. All I could say was “Guess what?!” I could literally hear his smile through the phone. 

(Side-note: Tyler Hansen loves kids more than I do! He is the type of guy who has wanted to be a dad since he knew what a dad was. He named our kids when we were in high school…Rare breed. I know.) 

Eventually one of us just said it. We are going to have a baby!!
 
And of course, Tyler was beyond excited. He calmed me down and reassured me of all the great blessings that were about to come. And I too entered the excitement phase. 

The past few months have been a roller coaster of feelings, processes, changes, mood-swings, cravings (or really aversions), and adjustments. 

We went through the initial shock, 

then there was the excitement, 

then the fear of the unknown, 

then back to excitement

and then a few more trips to all of the above.

We have now settled into the “this is the greatest gift/blessing/joy of our lives” phase. There is no other way to put it. This is the greatest gift, blessing, and joy of our lives.

John 1:16 “From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another.”

2 comments:

  1. I love it!! Now I have a new blog to follow! :) So so happy for you guys and I can't wait to see more baby bump pics!

    ReplyDelete